Saturday, May 15, 2010

smokers with schizophrenia

I have started using earplugs before I go to sleep to block out the voices when I awaken in the morning. It is working!

I stopped smoking on Thursday, May 13, 2010 at 1 p.m.

disabled smokers

In the blog post above, it is stated that 90% of those with schizophrenia smoke cigarettes. There are many potential reasons for this.

I even read one study (since lost) and heard of another that suggest that smoking cigarettes could be a cause of schizophrenia.

causes of schizophrenia


I believe that there are "societal pressures" on those who smoke cigarettes in ussa, not on those who do not smoke cigarettes, at this point. Those "societal pressures" can lead to shunning people which can lead to problems.

Here is another blog post that suggests reasons why those with schizophrenia have such a high rate of smoking cigarettes:

schizophrenia and smoking


I have read Stop Smoking Naturally by Martha Work Adelman. I also read Positively Quit Manual by Cassius Cheong.

I was tired of looking at smoke. I did not really like to hold a cigarette. I mostly liked the taste of smoking. I also used smoking to deal with difficult (for me) emotions or situations. I stopped smoking without stop smoking aids or medications.

This past week:
  • medication: 5 mg Aripiprazole a.m., 10 mg Aripiprazole before sleep
  • sleep: average 10 hrs
  • exercise: walked three days, situps and pushups, stair running, bicycling
  • diet: made certain to eat breakfast every day, attempting to reach 35% fat, 15% protein, 50% carbs, counting calories at www.caloriecount.com,
  • weight: 156 lbs.
  • mood: ok all mornings upon rising

No comments:

Post a Comment